Hipster is a codename for rapidly moving development branch of OpenIndiana and the development branch from which major releases are made. Changes go into an ISO releases at a slower pace and with the general assumption that they have first been tested from the Hipster IPS package repository. This is still a development branch and, at any given time, the packages from OpenIndiana's Hipster IPS repository may or may not be suitable for general use. It is simply another engineering development track, not a resource for end-users. Users who do not have the resources to perform testing should instead run their own tested ISO release of Hipster.
Those interested in tracking or contributing to the OpenIndiana's Hipster development process, especially as it relates to the next release of Hipster, should consider following the mailing lists.
It is inevitable that bugs will sometimes be users that were not apparent in the oi-dev team. For this reason, one should not blindly conduct an entire upgrade progress on a production system without reading package release notes or docs.
NOTE: It is very important not to update any production servers or desktops/workstations without thoroughly testing software packages or drivers in a development or testing environment.
Every ISO release will be announced via mailing list and Twitter.
Switching to "hipster" branch
Before considering using "hipster", please read the statement below.
Even though, hipster might contain some newer packages it is generally not advised for installation, which need some level of stability such as servers or fully functioning desktop. Things might break and could cause system/service downtime. Do upgrade only if you know what you are doing. You have been warned!
To switch to the Hipster branch on an existing /dev installation, do the following:
- Create backup. Really.
- Uninstall all packages from opensolaris.org publisher
- pkg set-publisher -g http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster -G http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev openindiana.org
- pkg unset-publisher opensolaris.org
- pkg refresh --full
- pkg update --be-name oi-hipster -nv 2>&1|less - look how it is going to work
- pkg update --be-name oi-hipster -v
- boot new BE and check that you don't have packages with '*0.151.1.*' branch versions installed (check that pkg list |grep '0\.151\.1\.' output is empty)
- ensure that you have userland incorporation and entire installed (pkg install userland-incorporation )