Release date: Feb 01, 2013
The MartUX_OpenIndiana oi_151a-based SPARC LiveDVD was originally released on 27th September 2012 by Martin Bochnig, one year from the release of OpenIndiana oi_151a x86/64 LiveDVD! This SPARC edition brought a wide variety of enhancements, including being our first SPARC-based ISO based on the illumos and OpenIndiana projects!
OpenSXCE 2013.01 SPARC is the latest server and desktop-oriented SPARC-based Install and Live DVD based on the work based on OpenIndiana oi_151a/x86_64 edition created from the illumos, OpenIndiana, and OpenSolaris projects. OpenSXCE runs primarily on sun4v computers using the 64-bit Sun UltraSPARC III, IV, IV+, T1 and T2 processors and the Fujitsu SPARC64-V, SPARC64-VI, SPARC64-VII, and SPARC64-VII+ processors. IceWM 1.3.7 is provided as the lightweight window manager with major applications like Firefox 18.0, Thunderbird, GIMP 2.6.7, OpenOffice 3.4.1, Pidgin 2.6.5, Songbird, Ekiga, Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3 professional C/C++ compiler, and selected GNOME 2.30.x-based desktop applications.
Martin Bochnig (martin at martux.org)
Olga the Quagga
- Illumos based MartUX OpenIndiana Edition on Sun Blade 1500 Silver boots into openXsun X11 and JDS
- Illumos based MartUX OpenIndiana Edition on Sun Blade 1500 Silver with Raptor8p and XVR-100 part 2
- Illumos based MartUX OpenIndiana Edition on Sun Oracle Enterprise T1000 boots and shuts down.
Many sun4u or sun4v systems from Sun UltraSPARC-II to Sun Netra T5440.
- Oracle T1000/T2000/T5120/T5140/T5220/T5240/T5440 servers
- Oracle M3000/M4000/M5000/M8000/M9000 servers
- Sun Fire V125/V215/V240/V245/V250/V440/V445/V480/V490/V880/V890/V1280 servers
- Sun E2900/E3900/E4900/E6900/E20K/E25K
- Sun Blade 100/150/1000/1500/2000/2500 workstations
- Sun Ultra 25/45 workstations
Graphics (openXsun and hw-accelerated video drivers)
- Sun ILOM AST2200 KVMS module (ast)
- Elite3D Graphics Accelerator (afb)
- Creator and Creator3D Graphics Accelerator (ffb)
- Sun Expert3D, Sun Expert3D-Lite and Sun XVR-500 Graphics Accelerators (ifb)
- PGX32 Graphics Accelerator (gfxp)
- Sun PGX64 Graphics Accelerator (M64)
- Sun XVR-50/100/300 graphics (efb)
- Sun XVR-200 Graphics Accelerator (mko)
- Sun XVR-1000 Graphics Accelerator (gfb)
- Sun XVR-1200 and Sun XVR-600 Graphics Accelerators (jfb)
- Sun XVR-2500 Graphics Accelerator (kfb)
- Sun XVR-4000 Graphics Accelerator (zulu)
Any sun4u or sun4v system from 1995 (Ultra-1) to 2010 (T5440).
- 512MB RAM is the real hardlimit to get a text-login with warning.
- 1GB RAM is the preferred minimum for reliable JDS (GNOME 2.30.2) usage.
Burn the DVD image with cdrecord or your favorite CD/DVD burning application.
After you boot the DVD, type 'boot cdrom' in OpenBoot.
A text menu will appear within 2-3 minutes:
- 1. GUI-INSTALL (IceWM Live)
- 2. TEXT-INSTALL (console mode)
- 3. SHELL (X11 fail-safe session)
- 4. SHELL (console-only session)
- 5. Terminal type (currently sun)
- 6. REBOOT
Pick 'GUI INSTALL' to load IceWM which provides you with a live desktop environment for review, testing, and/or installation.
Download the new Install/Live DVD:
OpenSXCE 2013.01 edition (released Feb 2013, md5sum is 330a82654405c77c8cea903ed18117f2):
Also please see our mirror sites at http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirrors
New features for OpenSXCE 2013.01:
New SPARC software repository:
The new SPARC repository provides some of the latest software updates from the upstream userland consolidation and independent contributors:
Illumos kernel updates:
OpenSXCE 2013.01 SPARC edition is based on Illumos. Notable recent changes to the Illumos kernel and core userland:
- some e1000g devices don't support 15 unicast addresses
- LZ4 compression support in ZFS and GRUB
- Missing curly-braces in one ixgbe file
- apix module mistakingly sets TPR
- cdrw is unable to write some ISO images
- Support for LSI 2208 chipset in mr_sas
- ZFS I/O deadman thread
Spec Files Extra Repository
A wide variety of free open-source server and desktop software is available through the Spec Files Extra repository, OI-Userland, and third-party community package management systems.
- AbiWord (2.8.6)
- Alpine (2.10)
- Apache (2.2.23)
- Binutils (2.23.1)
- Blender (2.49.2)
- BOOST (1.53)
- ClamAV (0.97.1)
- Drupal (7.20)
- ffmpeg (1.1.2)
- GCC (4.7.2)
- gdb (7.5.1)
- git (1.7.7)
- GnuCash (2.4.11)
- ImageMagick (6.7.2-6)
- Inkscape (0.48.3)
- Irrlicht Engine (1.8)
- MPD (Music Player Daemon) (0.16.2)
- Mplayer (2.0.99)
- mpg123 (1.13.3)
- MySQL (5.6.10)
- Netatalk (2.2.0)
- PHP (5.3)
- PostgreSQL database (9.2.3)
- Postfix (2.8.5)
- Openbox (3.5.0)
- Qt (4.7.3)
- Samba (4.0.3)
- Scribus (1.4.0)
- Squid (3.3.1)
- Stellarium (0.11.1)
- Sylpheed (3.3)
- Tightvnc (1.3.10)
- Transmission (2.22)
- VLC (2.0.5)
- x264 (20111012)
- XFCE desktop environment (4.10)
Community desktop applications ported by other package maintainers/ISVs:
- Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1
- Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3
- Netbeans 7.3
- The GNU Project Debugger (GDB)
- GlassFish Server 126.96.36.199
- and many more!
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve the quality of future releases. Please report bugs through the provided bugtracker system:
If you want to help out with bugs, the Illumos and OpenIndiana bug teams are always looking for help.
Participate in OpenIndiana
As a community maintained distribution, we depend on community members getting involved. There are a wide variety of ways you can help us, from blogging and talking about OpenIndiana, adding content to our wiki, through to helping us developing the operating system.
If you would like to get involved, the quickest way is to jump on IRC and talk to our developers directly.
You can find out more about the OpenIndiana distribution project and marTux-OpenIndiana, please see:
Note: oi_151a Release Notes originally written by Ken Mays (kmays). Please contact for any major corrections or changes.