Happy Anniversary to the OpenIndiana project!
Release date: Sept 14, 2011
OpenIndiana oi_151a was released on 14th September 2011, exactly one year after our first release, oi_147! Our latest build brings a wide variety of enhancements, including being our first build based on Illumos.
Installing or Upgrading
For information on installing, please see Installing OpenIndiana
ISO images and Torrents are available from:
Also please see our mirror sites at http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirrors
New features in OpenIndiana oi_151a
OpenIndiana Kernel & Core Userland
OpenIndiana oi_151a is based on Illumos. Notable changes to the kernel and core userland since OpenIndiana's oi_148 release includes:
- KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine)
OpenIndiana oi_151a now includes KVM, the open source Kernel-based Virtual Machine, as a basic virtualization solution along with the QEMU package! This KVM port includes virtualization extensions for Intel VT. Using KVM, a user or system administrator can run multiple virtual machines running unmodified x86_64-based operating system images for Linux, BSD, or Windows images. Each virtual machine has private virtualized hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, etc.
For information on using KVM, please see 7.3 KVM
- New terminal definitions:
- New whois tool:
- New TCP socket options:
- Grub support for large sector disks:
- ZFS aclmode property added:
- Zone administration enhancements:
- Easy access to service log files via svcs -L:
- Areca ARC-1880 RAID card driver support:
- UNMAP support for COMSTAR:
- iostat -E now correctly displays disk serial number:
- Bombproof taskqs:
- Open source replacements for locales, libc utf-8 support and many userland tools
Spec Files Extra Repository
A wide variety of software is now available through the Spec Files Extra repository, OI-Userland, and third-party community package management systems.
- AbiWord (2.8.6)
- Arora Web browser (0.11.0)
- Blender (2.49.2)
- ClamAV (0.97.1)
- Drupal (7.8)
- ffmpeg (0.8.6)
- GCC (4.6.2)
- ghc (Glasgow Haskell Compiler) (7.2.1)
- git (1.7.7)
- ImageMagick (6.7.2-6)
- Inkscape (0.48.1)
- MPD (Music Player Daemon) (0.16.2)
- Mplayer (2.0.99)
- mpg123 (1.13.3)
- Netatalk (2.2.0)
- PostgreSQL database (9.1.1)
- Postfix (2.8.5)
- Openbox (3.5.0)
- Qt (4.7.3)
- Scribus (1.4.0)
- Stellarium (0.11.0)
- Sylpheed (3.1.1)
- Tightvnc (1.3.10)
- Transmission (2.22)
- VLC (1.1.11)
- Wine (1.3.34)
- x264 (20111012)
- XFCE desktop environment (4.8.3)
Community packages contributed and ported by other package maintainers/ISVs:
- Apache OpenOffice (ported by Adfinis SyGroup AG)
- LibreOffice (ported by Lanedo Gmbh)
- Calendar for Thunderbird
- Flash Player
- Nvidia video driver
Here is a list of known issues that are still outstanding:
See https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues for more known issues and detailed information
- OpenIndiana svn_151 support on Adaptec 6xxx (1497)
- SFE's runtime/gcc package breaks VirtualBox. See SFE notes for a workaround.
- i/o hang with mega_sas driver (618)
- cpqary3 driver is old and causes panic in oi_151 (1441)
- Chinese input method lost in b151 (1084)
- ZFS time-slider and auto-snapshots not working due to missing zfssnap-roleadd SMF service (1179)
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve the quality of future releases. Please report bugs through the provided bugtracker system:
If you want to help out with bugs, the OpenIndiana bug team is always looking for help.
Participate in OpenIndiana
As a community maintained distribution, we depend on community members getting involved. There are a wide variety of ways you can help us, from blogging and talking about OpenIndiana, adding content to our wiki, through to helping us developing the operating system.
If you would like to get involved, the quickest way is to jump on IRC and talk to our developers directly.
You can find out more about the OpenIndiana distribution project, please see:
Note: oi_151a Release Notes originally written by Ken Mays (kmays). Please contact for any major corrections or changes.
|Note for Wiki Maintainers|
Note this page referenced in pkg-gate so please do not rename.