Welcome to the MATE/OpenIndiana initiative
The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.
This is the website for using, installing and building MATE® software on the OpenIndiana® operating system. You can find documentation for applications that behave differently on OpenIndiana than on Linux®. The installation and compilation instructions are specialized for OpenIndiana administrators.
The MATE® community is an international technology team dedicated to creating a free and user-friendly computing experience, offering an advanced graphical desktop, a wide variety of applications for communication, work, education and entertainment and frameworks for building new applications.
OpenIndiana® is an advanced operating system for modern server and desktops. OpenIndiana's code base has undergone over ten years of continuous development, improvement, and optimization. It is derived from illumos kernel environment, the version of UNIX® originally developed at Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) and maintained by the illumos organization.
The MATE/OpenIndiana team hopes this site will be a valuable resource for all who are interested in maintaining the high level of compatibility between OpenIndiana and MATE Software Compilation that has been seen to date. The goal is to facilitate the discussion of patches, finding bugs, suggesting features and hopefully becoming a valuable member of both the MATE and OpenIndiana communities.
- alacarte (mozo) is a Menu Editor allowing users to change which applications are shown on the main menu
- baobab is a disk usage analyzer.
- caja (Nautilus) is the official file manager for the MATE desktop. It allows for browsing directories, as well as previewing files and launching applications associated with them. It is also responsible for handling the icons on the MATE desktop. It works on local and remote filesystems.
- control-center (MATE Control Center) contains configuration applets for the MATE desktop, allowing to set accessibility configuration, desktop fonts, keyboard and mouse properties, sound setup, desktop theme and background, user interface properties, screen resolution, and other MATE parameters.
- eog (eom) or the Eye of GNOME is a simple graphics viewer for the MATE desktop which uses the gdk-pixbuf library. It can deal with large images, and can zoom and scroll with constant memory usage. Its goals are simplicity and standards compliance.
- evince (Atril) is a simple multi-page document viewer. It can display and print PostScript (PS), Encapsulated PostScript (EPS), DJVU, DVI, XPS and Portable Document Format (PDF) files. When supported by the document, it also allows searching for text, copying text to the clipboard, hypertext navigation, and table-of-contents bookmarks.
- gedit (Pluma) is a text editor which supports most standard editor features. It also extends this basic functionality with other features not usually found in simple text editors. Pluma is a graphical application which supports editing multiple text files in one window (known sometimes as tabs or MDI). Also, it fully supports international text through its use of the Unicode UTF-8 encoding in edited files. Its core feature set includes syntax highlighting of source code, auto indentation, and printing support (with print preview).
- gcalctool (MATE Calc) is an calculator application that solves mathematical equations.
- gnome-terminal (MATE Terminal) is a terminal emulation application that you can use to access a UNIX shell in the MATE environment. With it, you can run any application that is designed to run on VT102, VT220, and xterm terminals. Also, has the ability to use multiple terminals in a single window (tabs) and supports management of different configurations (profiles).
- gnome-screenshot (MATE Screenshot) allows you to take screenshots of desktop applications.
- file-roller (Engrampa) is an archive manager for the MATE environment. It allows you to create and modify archives, view the contents of an archive, view a file contained in an archive, and extract files from archive.
- marco (MetaCity) is a windows manager.
MATE 1.14.x Release Notes
MATE 1.14.x packages in IPS:
MATE 1.14.x Source GIT:
These installation instructions are not valid anymore: this page is in Archive for a good reason.
The meta-package mate_install may be used instead.
- Installing mate on desktop installation:
pfexec pkg refresh --full
pfexec pkg image-update -v
- pfexec pkg install