Samba File Sharing
Solaris comes with its own Samba/CIFS implementation, or you can use the old traditional Samba.
Some people say Solaris' buiilt-in Samba/CIFS implementation is buggy. Others say traditional Samba is, too, on Solaris. So, whichever implementation you choose, you may wish to test it thoroughly before going live on your production servers.
This is a quick start guide to setting up the old traditional Samba.
OpenIndiana has a samba package included in its package repository.
For a quick start:
1.) Install the samba package:
pkg install samba
2.) Copy the /etc/samba/smb.conf-example file to /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf-example /etc/samba/smb.conf
3.) Modify the smb.conf file as necessary for your situation.
4.) Create users:
smbpasswd -a mysmbuser1
5.) stop native smb service
svcadm disable svc:/network/smb/server:default
6.) Start the appropriate services:
The Samba package includes three services:
samba - Takes care of the basic share mounting and file sharing capabilities.
wins - Starts the nmbd service, which makes the machine, and its shares, visible in your users' file browsers.
winbind - Starts the winbind service. From what I understand, this helps integrate UNIX with Microsoft Windows NT. I don't think you need it running unless you are using NT.
svcadm enable samba
svcadm enable wins (optional)
svcadm enable winbind (optional)
See if it's working with:
svcs -xv samba
svcs -xv wins
svcs -xv winbind
6.) Verify that your computer shows up with the other computers on your network. Try to mount your shares in a browser and/or by the command line. Also test the read/write functionality, etc.
When I first started using Samba on OpenIndiana, I didn't know it came with the wins and winbind services. Since my shares didn't show up in our users' file browsers, I modified the service manifest and method files to start and stop both the samba and nmbd services. I included them in the earlier versions of this page. Someone pointed out to me these other services, so I've removed the modified files, and updated the page accordingly.
I hope this helps!