When naming a zpool or a dataset, following rules must be adhered to:
- A zpool or zfs dataset name can only consist of alphanumeric characters and an underscore ( _ ), hyphen ( - ), colon ( : ) and period ( . ).
- First character of a pool must be a letter, except for:
- combinations designating a disk device (c[0-9])
- name of redundancy level (mirror, raidz, raidz1, raidz2, raidz3, spare)
- a percent sign ( % )
- a word log
- A name of a ZFS dataset must start with alphanumeric character
- A name of a ZFS dataset cannot contain a percent sign ( % )
An empty name is not allowed.
A valid names of a zpool and a ZFS dataset are listed below: