To create a bootable USB device, you must use a USB storage device exactly 1 gigabyte (GB) or larger.
To create a live USB with Windows, use the OpenSolaris Live USB Creator.
To create a live USB with illumos, Solaris or OpenSolaris, you may use the usbcopy tool. (part of install/distribution-constructor package)
To create a live USB on any Unix-like system (including OS X):
- Download both the standard live USB file
- For OpenIndiana images before OpenIndiana Hipster 2016.10 snapshot you should have used special header file:
- For USB images of 1GB or less (e.g. the Text Installer), use the 1G.header file.
- For USB images exceeding 1GB (e.g. the Live Installer), be sure to use the 2G.header file.
- Locate the path to your USB storage device.
- This will typically be /dev/rdsk/c*t*d0p0 on illumos/Solaris (
rmformat -l), /dev/sd* on Linux (
fdisk -l), /dev/da* on FreeBSD (
camcontrol devlist), or /dev/disk* on OS X (
- Use the whole device, not including a partition or slice number (sda, not sda1; c0t0d0p0, not c0t0d0p1).
- In illumos, the whole disk device name is depending on partition type; on x86, the whole disk name ends with p0, in case the GPT (EFI) partition, the whole disk device name ends with dX, on sparc, the disk has usually VTOC partition and whole disk device name usually ends with s2. Note, if on x86 MBR+VTOC is used, then the s2 device is addressing Solaris2 MBR partition, not whole disk.
- Make sure you identify the correct storage device, as any data on the device will be erased.
- Desktops may automatically mount removable devices. Make sure no filesystems located on the device are mounted prior to the next step.
- Select any desktop icons for the USB device and issue an Eject or Unmount command.
- Use the
mount command to list mounted filesystems. If any filesystems are located on the USB storage device, they must be unmounted.
umount <path> to unmount a filesystem, or
rmumount <path> on illumos/Solaris, and
diskutil unmountDisk <path> on OS X.
- Run the following command (as root or with appropriate privileges): dd if=
<live USB image file>
of=<path to raw USB storage device>
- Note, that for OpenIndiana images before 2016.10 you should have used special header file:
cat <1G or 2G header> <live USB image file> | dd bs=1024k of=<path to raw USB storage device>