Hipster 2018.04 is here
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2018.04 snapshot is available.
Mirror list: https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirrors
This release is signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
General system changes
Userland software is rebuilt with GCC 6. As old GCC 4 runtime libraries are still delivered to /usr/lib, automatic checks and cleanup is applied to remove harmful RUNPATHs (/usr/lib, /usr/lib/amd64 and so on) from binaries. illumos-gate is still compiled with patched GCC 4.4.
KPTI was enabled to mitigate recent security issues in Intel CPUs (thanks to
, Robert Mustacchi for their hard work on this).
Support of Gnome 2 desktop was removed. A lot of applications were fixed to remove dependencies on Gnome2 libraries (including specific to OI software, like nwam-manager, time slider or GUI installer).
Linked images support was enhanced to include zoneproxy support (now ipkg zones without connectivity to Internet can update software via global zone's proxy, administration documentation is available in zones section of OpenIndiana Handbook).
Mate desktop applications are delivered as 64-bit-only now.
Upower support was integrated.
IIIM was removed.
Work on delivering 64-bit-only applications was continued.
Note, that although shipped ISO and USB images support booting in UEFI mode, it's still work in progress. Vga console is not supported when system is booted in UEFI mode and installer still misses some steps to create bootable UEFI images.
Desktop software and libraries
- Gnome 2 was removed. Corresponding Gnome 3 applications were added when necessary (totem, gnome-keyring, seahorse, vino and some other).
- Libunique, at-spi, libgnome-desktop and python gnome bindings were removed. Dependent applications were ported to pure GTK2/GTK3. Removal of Gnome 2 libraries is still in progress.
Xorg was updated to 1.19.6, xorg libraries and drivers were updated.
- Virtualbox video driver compatible with Xorg 1.19 is available.
- Upower 0.99.7 and Mate power manager were added. ConsoleKit patches to support Sleep/Hibernate/HybridSleep DBUS were backported. Lightdm and Mate applications were fixed to work with ported ConsoleKit functionality.
Mate was recompiled as 64-bit and updated to latest versions of 1.18 branch
- Firefox was updated to 52.7.3
- VLC was updated to 2.2.8
- Thunderbird was updated to 52.7.0
Nvidia driver was updated to 340.106
- Gnumeric was updated to 1.12.39
Note, that pulseaudio now is delivered as 64-bit application. Its configs are not compatible, so if after update pulseaudio fails to start, just remove ~/.config/pulse directory.
- zsh was updated to 5.4.2
- mc was updated to 4.8.20
- fish was updated to 2.7.0
GCC 6.4.0 is the default oi-userland compiler now.
- GCC 7 was updated to 7.3.0
Jenkins was updated to 2.89.4 (LTS) and 2.108.
OpenJDK 8 was updated to 1.8.162
- Erlang was updated to 19.3
- Mercurial was updated to 4.5.3
- Git was updated to 2.16.2
- memcached was updated to 1.4.37
- PHP versions were updated to 5.6.35, 7.0.29
PostgreSQL 9.4-10 were updated to latest minor versions. PostgreSQL 9.3 was removed (9.4 is the default one now).
MariaDB 10.1, Percona Server 5.6, 5.7 were updated to latest minor versions.
- CouchDB 2.1 was added
- ISC Bind was updated to 9.10.6-P1
- ISC DHCP server was updated to 4.3.6-P1
- Squid was updated to 3.5.27
- Nginx was updated to 1.14.0
- Apache 2.4 was updated to 2.4.33
Samba was updated to 4.5.16
Nodejs was updated to 6.14.0, 8.11.1
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates included.
Several significant oi-userland changes were introduced. Now in resolve step pkgdepend resolve search for dependencies only in REQUIRED_PACKAGES and packages, provided by current component. oi-userland automatic tooling now detects and removes standard library directories from RUNPATH (/lib, /usr/lib, /lib/$(MACH64), /usr/lib/$(MACH64)). Component build bitness (whether to deliver 64-bit binaries in /usr/bin) now can be controlled by PREFERRED_BITS macros (64 or 32, default 32).
It's worth noting that now we use automatic testing framework to perform install image generation and testing on daily basis.
As always, we are proud to deliver to you latest illumos-gate bits (47b8d4b884).