Hipster 2019.04 is here
We are glad to announce that Hipster 2019.04 snapshot is available.
List of mirrors: https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirrors
This release is signed and verifiable by GPG. The OpenIndiana Release Engineering key has key id 0x3a021afadbe31887.
The public key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
How to verify:
- Download <ISO>.sig file from mirror
<ISO>.sig <ISO>. You should see the following output:
gpg: Signature made October 23, 2018 at 03:15:31 PM UTC using RSA key ID DBE31887
gpg: Good signature from "OpenIndiana Release Engineering" [unknown]
Primary key fingerprint: F5E9 84E5 ADD2 9578 D45C C1FE 3A02 1AFA DBE3 1887
Even if the output includes:
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
The signature is still correct.
General system changes
During this development cycle we've worked on fixing VirtualBox, updating Firefox and Mate.
Other noticeable changes include moving of some OI-specific applications from Python 2.7/GTK 2 to Python 3.5/GTK 3,
merging updates from OmniOS CE IPS (including automatically named boot environments), rebuilding and fixing issues in
libiconv conversion modules.
Late news (known issues)
Firefox can fail to spawn child processes on the first launch. After being restarted it runs fine. Consider adding more swap space for stable Firefox work.
Desktop software and libraries
- MATE 1.22 was integrated.
- Firefox was updated to 60 ESR
- VirtualBox 6.0 was integrated (including guest additions).
- Xorg fonts, tools and libraries were updated. xbacklight tool was added.
- Freetype was updated to 2.9.1, fontconfig was updated to 2.13.1.
- GTK+3 was updated to 3.24.8
- glib2 was updated to 2.58.3.
- LightDM was updated to 1.28
- Updates for IPS were merged from OmniOS CE IPS, including automatically named boot environments (see documentation for details).
- Many utilities are now 64-bit-only.
- zsh, bash and pdsh shells were updated. zsh and bash syntax highlighting support was enhanced.
- GNU awk was updated to 5.0, GNU sed was updated to 4.7, GNU coreutils were updated to 8.31.
- vim was updated to 8.1.1002, nano was updated to 4.2.
- Ghostspcript was updated to 9.26.
- rename tool was added.
- Apache 2.4 is 64-bit-only now
OpenSSH was updated to 7.9p1.
PostgreSQL 11 was added. PostgreSQL versions 9.4 thru 10 were updated to their latest minor versions. Citus extensions was added. Other PostgreSQL extensions were updated.
MariaDB 10.1 was updated, MariaDB 10.3 was added. Percona Server 5.6 and 5.7 were updated. Berkeley DB was updated as well.
- MongoDB 3.4 and 4.0 were updated. MongoDB 3.3 was removed.
- Nginx was updated to 1.16.0.
Samba was updated to 4.9.5.
Node.js was updated to 12.2.0, 10.15.3, 8.16.0, 6.17.1.
- Ansible 2.7.5 was added.
A lot of other bug fixes and minor software updates are included.
As always, we are proud to ship the latest illumos-gate bits (a547acf91a).
Following developers contributed to the 2019.04 snapshot with close to 500 commits. We very much appreciate their contributions:
- Alexander Pyhalov
- Andreas Grueninger
- Andreas Wacknitz
- Aurélien Larcher
- Gary Mills
- Jason Martin
- Jean-Pierre André
- Jim Klimov
- Joshua M. Clulow
- Michal Nowak
- Nona Hansel
- Rouven Weiler
- Sebastian Wiedenroth
- Stephan Althaus
- Till Wegmüller
- Tim Mooney